This blog is for practical Filipina fashionistas who want to look good but are constrained by a tight budget. We'll teach you how to save money by buying affordable alternatives and trying out DIY beauty treatments.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ukay Adventures: Olivarez Plaza, Tagaytay

They say the best ukay places are the ones outside Metro Manila. While this is not entirely true, the odds of finding a good ukay shop (not the ones in open air beside marketplaces) in the province is better. In Cubao you'll find dozens in one street but only one or two will showcase relatively new and stylish clothes.
-------------

I was in Tagaytay for a work-related trip a few days ago. Taal volcano was reportedly grumbling but we were in no hurry to get back to the Metro and instead dropped by one of my favorite ukayans: the ones in Olivarez Plaza, just several steps away from Tagaytay Junction/Rotunda.

It has been a year since I last went there and I was surprised at how quaint and pretty it has become. A lot of flowers were added to the scenery, making the place really chic. However, I noticed that there were fewer ukay stores and more tiangges. Sad.

Nevertheless, the quality of clothes in the ukay stores were still the same. The prices were relatively high because they just got stocked up with new arrivals but I was still able to buy P50 blouses that were almost good as new. I was also able to buy dark denim pants for P150. That one looked like it was worn just once or twice.





They had a lot of bags and shoes (some looked pretty nice) but I didn't bought any since I had recently bought new shoes and I hate being impulsive with bags.

While there were lesser ukay stores, the ones that were still there looked more appealing to the eyes. Everything was orderly. The fitting rooms were clean and freshly painted. The place did not smell of old clothes (it did the last time I went there).

The largest ukay store was behind a swimming pool (yes a swimming pool!) of a nearby spa. Here, clothes were sold real cheap, from P10 a piece to around P200. There were nice office coats and dresses but as usual they were too big for me.



For less than P300 I was able to buy staple items for my wardrobe: denim pants, a cardigan and a black blouse. Will post pictures of the clothes soon. :)


keeping it stylish and chic
- K

Street Smart Charm
Practical tips for the Practical Fashionista
Fashion for less

0 comments:

Post a Comment